Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Not a secret anymore

Within a very tight circle I have kept a secret for the past few weeks.

Nearly 6 months ago our family received the chilling news that one of my cousins was diagnosed with a Brain Aneurysm.  During the course of discovery it was decided that she needed to have a craniectomy.  We have a strong family history of death from ruptured brain aneurysms.  I grew up with the stories of my Aunt Caroline, my Dad's oldest sister and how one day she died suddenly, leaving her husband and three children.  I have some hazy memories of my cousin Connie who died while she was still in high school from a ruptured brain aneurysm.  These deaths were horrific and came on too suddenly.  Knowing our family history and my cousins diagnosis was scary.  The whole family is so thankful she is now okay!
After her surgery she sent an email out to everyone.  Her doctor is urging her to inform the family that we should all begin to be screened for aneurysms.  I took this information and let it soak in.  I did not get up and run to my Neurosurgeon's office but waited for my last post op appointment.  My Neuro reassured me about how rare family aneurysms are.  He wrote out a script for a CTA (because of my SCS I cannot have a MRA) and wanted it done within the week so we could then "Celebrate".  The CTA ended up showing a small bulge on an anterior communicating artery.  Leo and I absorbed this information.  My Neuro referred me to his colleague and we agreed to having a Cerebral Angiogram done.

My Cerebral Angiogram was done this past Monday, August 19th.  As the doctor said "The good news is you don't have any aneurysms!"  I have two blood vessels that have abnormal curves on them but that is perfectly fine.  On September 11th I have my follow up appointment with the doctor.

I am thankful that this is a very small chapter in my life.

Why the secret?  Well, that is just me and how I cope.  As contrary to my blog I am actually not an open book.  Another reason for all the secrecy is that we were really worried what this could do to Gabriel.  Leo and I feel like we have only just recently gotten Gabriel back to himself after the surgeries of 2012.  We kept the potential aneurysm under wraps because it was still an IF.  Gabriel does not need to worry about an IF.  IF the IF turned into something real then we would have sat him down and gently laid it out for him with following it all up by him seeing a counselor.  I am beyond thankful that the IF did not become a reality.

Gabe still does not know what we almost had to face.  It is pointless in telling him anything.  I know I had a small but powerful group of people praying for us, keeping us in their thoughts and their hearts.  I believe in the power of prayer and I felt that prayer carry us through.  Thank you!!!

http://www.bafound.org/  As always I promote AWARENESS ... Most people do not know they have an aneurysm until it is too late.  If you are a part of my immediate family from the Noel side please be screened.

No comments:

Post a Comment