Tuesday, April 8, 2014

I am thankful

This weekend my doorbell chimed insistently added with several knocks on the door.  At first I was a little upset, Lucas had just went down for a nap and was sleeping right above this racket.  I wasn't expecting anyone but as I could see, there was crowd of people on my front door step.  I opened the door to a bunch of teenagers.  Yes, teenagers who were laughing and having a great time.  I was about to reprimand them for abusing my doorbell but this one boy started nervously reciting a speech from a piece of paper he held.

They were kids from our local Catholic School.  They were going door to door collecting non-perishables to fill the shelves of our local food pantry.  Down the street I saw another group of kids doing the same thing.  Instead of being upset that they could have woken my sleeping child I was filled with amusement.  I even interrupted the boy from finishing his speech by laughing and saying "I got it!"  I asked them to wait while I went to my pantry.  As I was reaching for different canned goods I was overcome with emotion.  I am so THANKFUL!  I have a pantry filled with food that I can contribute to a good cause.  Here I was about to be upset that someone could have woken my child from his much needed nap but then I was faced with the goodness that does thrive in our society.  I filled a plastic bag and gave it to the kids.  I made their day!  They believed that with my contribution they beat the other kids, I guess they were competing with each other.  As they walked away I listened to their laughter.  Imagine teenagers giving up their Saturday afternoon to go house to house asking strangers for non-perishables to fill up a food pantry.  They were not acting like this was grudge work or something they decided to do to meet a requirement.  They were laughing!  They were having fun!  They even had a healthy competition to see who can get the most!  It was a great act of kindness that they probably do not even know the full weight of.  

I remember back when Leo and I were just starting our family.  It was tough learning how to manage our paychecks to pay our mortgage, bills, grocery shop, diapers and formula.  I even remember a time when at 10pm we belatedly realized we only had 2 diapers left but the store wouldn't open until 8am.  Our parents also helped us buy some groceries during the months we overextended ourselves.  We learned a lot of valuable life lessons during that time of our life.  If these kids were to have knocked on our doors at that time I would have turned them away and feel ashamed for not even having a can of beans to give.  Now, I have a pantry filled with food.  I have learned to keep track of how many diapers I use so I know when we need to buy more.  My family never has to feel that pinch again.  Filling that plastic bag for the kids gave me a moment to be thankful that even when money was tight we always had someone to help us.  Now I can pay that help forward.  Thankfully we never needed to rely on a food pantry to help fill my kitchen shelves

On March 27 my sister had surgery to remove a brain tumor.  Yes, a brain tumor.  Miles and hours away I felt helpless.  The only action I could take was pray.  God has seen our family through many health crisis'.  My husband knew how heartbroken I was that I couldn't be there so he planned on driving our family down for an overnight stay that weekend.  We were so thankful that God Provided us so that we could afford that spur of the moment trip.  My sister came out of surgery with stellar results so she was released early.  When I finally made it to her she was resting quietly in bed.  She and I  just stared at each other with a connection that only we share.  It was one of our more emotional reunions.  I am beyond thankful that we could afford the hotel night, gas money, and the lunch we bought for the family.  I am thankful that I was able to simply be there for my sister during her time of need.  It was heart wrenching walking away from her just 24 hours later.  However, the ride home proved interesting.  It was raining and soon we were treated with the ABS light turning on and this lovely little "ding ding ding" constantly singing to us.  Leo called our mechanic and he told us it is probably just the sensor.  So we turned up the music to try and drown out the noise.  In the next few days a new noise, a type of grinding noise made Leo take the truck to the mechanic.  Yep, something was wrong and we needed to fix it.  I am not even going to pretend that I know mechanical "stuff" so I won't try to say what the problem is.  However, before we could feel the pinch we received a monetary gift for a small favor we did.  If we didn't receive the small gift we would still have found another way.  That's what we do!  We just keep moving forward, solving each problem as it comes at us.  All of our regular bills, medical bills, and unexpected bills are handled with the knowledge that we work hard for what we have and trust that God will help us find the best solution.  God will provide.

I may not have the healthiest life or the richest.  What I do have is a beautiful family, a home filled with happy memories, kitchen cabinets filled with food, access to good doctors, and my husband is able to work to support his family.  Every time I have ever been in need God has answered my prayers.  I think this is a mighty lesson during the Lenten Season.  Life does not need to be perfect to see God's hand helping you along.  I believe it is all the small blessings that build the beautiful life.  My sister survived having a brain tumor removed!  I have enough food in my home that I could give towards others less fortunate! When you consider the whole, how can you see this life as anything but blessed?  I am thankful for all my blessings!!!


Philippians 4:19 

And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.



No comments:

Post a Comment