Wednesday, October 22, 2014

The wrinkle in my plans...

RSD can really throw a wrinkle in any plans you make.  A few weeks ago I was getting ready for our town wide yard sale.  I wanted to get rid of a bunch of baby stuff that I have held on to and four large garbage bags of stuffed animals.  I took a whole day going through our attic storage.  Another day was spent washing the old baby clothes, sorting into piles and folding.  I pulled out our old DVD collection and books that I don't have room for on my book shelf.  Then we had the stuff cluttering up our dinning room for almost a week!  I had the perfect plan.  I even researched how to price the items fairly.  I poured so much of my energy into this project.  However the wrinkle came in the form of one of my more intense RSD Flares.  Five days before the yard sale the flare started but I thought, "Okay, I have everything else prepared so I can take a few days to take care of myself and hopefully be well enough to do the yard sale.  I got this!"  This flare really kicked my butt.  I spent the first few days between bed and couch.  Gabe helped me with the simple chore of packing lunch boxes and Leo came home to put Lucas on the bus and get him off the bus.  By the time Saturday rolled around I was well enough to walk using a cane as long as I didn't have to stand for more than 5 minutes.  Fortunately, the yard sale was mostly rained out on Saturday so I only had a few hours outside and Gabriel was a big helper!  My in-laws came over near the end of the sale.  My sweet Mother in law walked into my messy kitchen and cleaned it up before I could stop her.  Leo brought home dinner and I ate with my leg propped up and wrapped in my heating pad.  The warmth of family uplifted my spirits because as much as I hate to admit it the flare was beating on my emotions.  I set up my tables again on Sunday.  I made enough sales to satisfy the effort but I did not get rid of enough stuff!  Then to add insult to injury I started a cold to accompany my flare up.  Perfect!

My flare up lasted 10 days.  Even though I still had my cold I felt like I was walking on a cloud just being able to walk without pain again!  My cold still has a lingering cough, damn mucus, but mostly I am just now feeling better.  All in all that means I have been unable to fully do "my job" for three weeks now.  Imagine how far behind you could be for the generalized house hold responsibilities; laundry washing folding putting away, cooking, dishes, dusting, vacuuming, floors, and basic organization.  Don't even get me started on email responses!  Today after my shower I realized we are all out of clean towels, and when I went into the kitchen I had to reach into the dishwasher for a clean coffee cup and spoon because there weren't any in the cupboards.  Needless to say my house needs a deep and thorough cleaning.  Yet, I hesitate to launch into this cleaning headfirst because it is raining out.  Why would the weather stop me from cleaning my house?  I know my body and I know my RSD.  Typical agitators are: Weather, Stress, Physical Fatigue, and soft injuries.  Any combination of these could trigger a flare especially when you factor in that I have just recently recovered from a flare.  Right now I am being cautious because at the end of next week is Halloween.  I cannot afford a flare up right now.  I have managed them in the past for Halloween but this year I believe is going to be a big year for trick or treating with Lucas.  He is finally at that stage when he knows what it is and is excited for it!  I am excited to take him house to house, and hear him say "Trick of Treat!  Thank you!"  Yes, I know this year he WILL be able to say those sweet words!  Then after his pumpkin bucket is full we will come home to hand out candy and see other kids in their costumes.  I do not want to sit on the sidelines this year and miss out on hearing him say "Trick or Treat!"  It is also a big year for Gabe.  He is at the age where he doesn't want his parents trick or treating with him, he wants to walk with his friends.
Do not get me wrong,  I want to have my house clean.  It is on my priority list!  I just have to be careful about how I go about it the chores that need to be done.  I have to take my time and not just plow through them as others would.  That is why I am taking the time out to write this blog post.  By sitting here and writing I am being proactive at pacing myself.  Before I sat down I unloaded the dishwasher, and re-stacked it.  Now I am ready to get back up just in time to get Lucas from the bus and finish cleaning the kitchen.  What is funny is that I will be cooking as soon as it is clean again, creating a fresh mess for later.   Such is life!  Tomorrow, I will conquer other household chores using the same slow paced process.  I figure my house will be back in order before Halloween!  As long as RSD doesn't wrinkle my plans again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment