Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Groceries

When you don't drive and are legally termed disabled - HOW DO YOU SHOP FOR GROCERIES?

My answer OnLine Grocery shopping.

In my area I have two options.  Peapod by Stop and Shop or Shoprite.  I have used both but I currently use Shoprite.  There is even an app for Shoprite on my phone so when I run out of something I can easily add it to my list, no more worries about forgetting to add something to my grocery list.  Remember, with my short term memory loss issues I could walk to the fridge see that I need more ketchup, cheese, yogurt, apples, and hot dogs but when I walk back to my computer I could easily forget one or more of these items as if it were totally erased from my memory.  However there are times when I do forget to use the app as I see we need something.  When that happens I trust Leo to run back to the store when needed.
Shopping online also helps ensure that I get only what I need.  No more quick indulgences.  Now, I only buy soda and chips if we need soda and chips.  Shopping like this ensures you only buy what is on your grocery list.  I can also shop more wisely, meaning I have all the time I need to compare prices. Another great tip is to pre-plan the meals you would like to make and buy all the ingredients you need during this shopping order.  When I plan out my meals I take the guess work out on the eternal question "What's for dinner tonight?"  If I end up not being in the mood for what has been planned I can easily switch it for a different option because I made sure to buy everything I need for each meal option!
I submit my order with the prerequisite 4 hour lead time.  I always choose the option to have Leo pick up the groceries at the store.  I like to use coupons and have found this to be the easiest way.  If you choose to have your groceries delivered then your coupons are deducted from your next grocery order.  At the store a shopper picks up the items you requested however there are times when something is out of stock needing to be substituted or you may decide to just leave it off.  When Leo picks up the groceries he drives toward the side of the store at the loading dock designated just for Shoprite From Home.  A Shoprite employee will walk all the groceries out to the truck and load it up.  Leo gives them the coupons, he pays and drives away! How easy is that?  When he comes home he gives me the computer print out of the items I requested, if there were any out of stocks or substitutions they will all be listed along with a record of what you received.  We also get a normal receipt.  Since I did not spend any energy to go grocery shopping I now have the energy I need to put away all the groceries, with a little help from the boys.  Gabe and Leo help carry designated bags to our basement pantry so I don't have to carry anything down the steps.  Lucas and Gabe help me put some easy items away, like their juice boxes or the fruit.  I also get them to help me with the bags after all the items are put away.  Yes I keep my plastic and paper bags!!!
On a grocery day my daily energy is dedicated to the kitchen work; cleaning, cooking and putting the groceries away. Those three things are my limit but I feel self satisfied at being able to do them.  It would be so much harder and exhausting if I had to actually do the shopping myself, then put away all my items, and still need to have the kitchen clean and make dinner.  In fact it wouldn't be so much harder it would be down right impossible for me.  I am so happy that our store has the option of shopping online.

Here is an example of my meal planning

Dinner Menu

Sunday 9-29 - Dad's House

Monday 9-30 - Roast Chicken and stuffing

Tuesday 10-1 - Ravioli w/Chicken and Zucchini in a tomato sauce

Wednesday 10-2 - Roast Beef w/noodles and veggies

Thursday 10-3 - Pork Chops w/mashed potatoes and green beans

Friday 10-4 - Mexican Fiesta Night (chicken enchilada, turkey taco, tomalito, and yellow rice.)

Saturday 10-5 - Leftovers/eat out

Sunday 10-6 - Shepherds Pie

Monday 10-7 - Roast Chicken with roasted veggies

Tuesday 10-8 - Spaghetti and Meatballs

Wednesday 10-9 - Braised Pork Shoulder with roasted potatoes and brussels sprouts

Thursday 10-11 - Chicken Pot Pie

Friday 10-12 - Turkey Burgers

Saturday 10-13 - Leftovers/Party


2 comments:

  1. Hey I have a quick question about your blog, could you email me when you have a chance? Thanks! –Cam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to answer your question...I am trying to find your email addy then I will await your response!

      Delete