Wednesday, July 15, 2009

providing for the family

Today I get my social security disability check. This is my financial contribution to my family. I used to work. Actually I loved working. To me working wasn't just about money or a career. It was the chance to get out there and meet new people and learn something new. Yes I was that co-worker that always found time in the work day to socialize. But I also was a hard worker, when my health was good. I choose to hide my RSD from employers and my co-workers. I didn't want special treatment or the other side of people knowing, which is the doubts of the seriousness about my condition. I used to be a triumph story of RSD. Hiding my story and health was one of my downfalls though. When I needed another surgery or just on a very bad flare up day was when the attention was called to my health. Some people could handle it and others couldn't. One job I had in particular (I will not name the company) gave me a very hard time about my job performance while I was struggling with my pain. After months of struggling with my pain my doctor realized my SCS was malfunctioning and I needed surgery, I would be out of work for 3 months. That employer was not happy. In fact on my first day back to work I was called into a meeting and informed that if I did not step up my performance then I would be fired.
I have not been working for the past two years and still I cannot get used to it. At first it was easy, sort of like being on an extended vacation. My pain levels help keep me grounded whenever I think, maybe just maybe I can swallow the pain and start working at least part time? I know the truth, I cannot work. The trick with RSD is that you never really know what today, tomorrow, next month will be like.

I do know that my financial contribution to my family is nothing much compared to what it used to be. Instead I need to focus on the other qualities I bring home. Like I don't have to use a sick day when my son is sick and needs his Mommy! My husband and I can eat lunch together, since we live so close to his work!

Sure it would be easy to just hide my RSD and disability. I could admit to being a stay at home mom. Except that is mostly a lie because if I did have my health I would be out there working. Maybe someday I will be better enough to get that part time job and then even farther down the road I will be able to work full time again. At this point in time though my job is my health and my family.

Love, Prayers and Gentle Hugs,
Marti Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment