Friday, January 17, 2014

Grocery Shopping my way and a budget friendly meal

My husband is almost useless in the kitchen.  Last year when I was at my parents house because my Dad was once again hospitalized Leo was home with the kids.  My friends went from bug eyed to hysterical laughter as I talked my husband through the process of making Kraft Macaroni and Cheese from the blue box, yes I even had to tell him which pot to use.  I am blessed that my husband can and will do so much for me but the kitchen is and always will be my domain.  If I run out of a few items I can send him to the grocery store but it must be a detailed list.  He is also the typical husband who will come home with a bag full of junk food.  He is accepts my flaw that I will not mate socks and I accept his flaw that he is not good in the kitchen.  Okay, he can make one good meal Steak Milanesa with yellow rice.  Yum!

When it comes to groceries I am the only one able to do it.  I cannot walk around the supermarket, reaching up high or bending over to pick up the bag of sugar.  I just can not handle that activity level and then come home to put everything away.  What do I do?  I shop on line!  Our Shoprite let's me shop on line and then they have employees walk around the store picking up the items I ordered, they bag it and then my husband picks it up for me.  If my husband doesn't have the time to pick up the groceries then I could have them deliver it for me!  Shopping on a budget is even easier because I can take a whole week to price compare and get the most bang for my buck!  My energy level is managed so the only physical action is putting the groceries away.  Sometimes the kids will help me put away groceries if I am in a flare.  In return I make them Paper Bag Robots!  I am a control freak in my kitchen so I don't accept much help but when I am in need I accept the fact that things are not put where I like them to be and then will need to move stuff around to make it work.  Hey, life with pain does not mean you are a beggar!

If you read my New Year Resolutions blog then you know I am going to try cooking more Gourmet style food.  I am finding this a challenge with my budget.  I just can not afford to pay $10 or more per pound of meat, I am more into the $3 or $4 per pound of meat!  I will find a way to meet my resolutions even if I have to figure out a way to stretch the budget.  I am already coming up with a few idea's on how to make it work but I am open to suggestions!

This week I made something that Leo and I loved!  Potato Bisque soup.  So delishious and tasty and comforting.  I cannot believe I have never done this before!  Potatoes, leeks, garlic, parsnips, celery, extra sharp cheddar, homemade chicken stock, half & half, and then salt, pepper and a touch of curry to taste.  I used my submersion blender to make it thick and creamy.  I made this one night that we were doing leftovers with the kids.  The soup is hearty so by the time I was done and using my finger to like the rest out of the bowl I had to tell myself to not get more, I really was full!  My husband felt the same way! It was so cute when he looked at me and said "I ate it all, I am done."  I asked him if he wanted more and he was about to say yes and felt guilty so instead he said "Maybe later".   I think the only thing that could make this soup better is BACON.  I can just see it.  I start off by rendering the fat from the bacon, remove the bacon and add the veggies to saute adding in just enough butter and olive oil to get the tons of veggies softened.  From there I would build the soup the same way and then when I serve it up I would crumble some bacon on top.  Okay, it is too early for lunch but now I am salivating for this soup!  You could make a big pot of this soup for $20 and that includes your bacon!  The money saver and major flavor profile comes from your homemade stock.  You know I roasted a chicken a few times a month.  From at least one of those roastings I will make my stock to use in different meals throughout the month.  Unfortunately I did not write down my measurements so I cannot tell you exactly how much to use of some of these ingredients.  I can tell you I used a lot of potatoes because I really wanted them to stand out but I also used a lot of garlic because it really is the best flavor in the world.  I used two leeks and two parsnips and one stalk of celery.  After I had the soup creamed I slowly added in two cups of the cheese, tasting as I went looking for the creamy sharp flavor.  I used a lot of stock, I think more than 4 cups and I used at least two cups of half & half.  I promise the next time I make this I will pay attention to the recipe!

If I were buying these ingredients for the soup this week I would be buying.  Some of these items can be used towards other meals making this a really good budget friendly meal.
Oscar Mayer Bacon 8ozs = $3.99
Cabot Seriously Sharp White Cheddar Bar 8ozs = $1.99
Shop Rite brand Half & Half 32ozs = $2.29
Celery (only need one stalk but now I have it for other meals!) = $1.79
Garlic head (honestly I might have used nearly half the head) = $.22
2 Leeks = $5.98
2 Parsnips = $.75
5lb bag of Russet Potatoes = $2.99
Subtotal = $19.99 And this makes a big pot!

This soup is one of the ways I am thinking of saving my budget to help me afford the more expensive cuts of meats.  I am thinking of rounding out my week with Soups, Stews and Casseroles with my typical roasted meat meal and then I can splurge on the higher end deals.  If you have a great low budget meal idea for me or a take on a higher end dish please let me hear about it!  If you try my soup I would love to hear how it worked out for you!

I

No comments:

Post a Comment