Saturday, January 11, 2014

Lucas' Awesome Preschool Program - Morris Plains Preschool

Last year was an emotional time as we prepared for the switch from Early Intervention to Public Preschool.  I had bonded with Lucas' therapists from EI.  We were in "it" together as they helped us grow from no spoken language to individual sounds to a slow building vocabulary.  I wished I could keep them forever but at the age of 3 a child is aged out of EI and then must be qualified for Special Education services through the school district.  Personally I found it to be a sucky experience whe to highlight my child's struggles instead of boast their newest accomplishments no matter how small those accomplishments seem.  Writing that letter to the state asking them to consider my child for special education was a heartbreaking moment.  As a parent you feel guilty that you cannot brag, boast and put your child in the spotlight as being so wonderfully smart and advanced and perfect.  In your heart you are so amazed with your child and just want everyone to see them as perfect as you do. Yet, your child has difficulties and they need help.  It would be so much easier to turn a blind eye and claim that your child just doesn't want to do whatever it is they struggle with.  It would be easier but then you aren't helping your child achieve their best in life.  I know some people talked behind my back saying things like "why can't she just let him be" or "she needs to stop looking for him to be perfect" and "he is just fine and will talk when he is ready".  Thankfully they never said those things to my face because I probably would have slapped them!  If you weren't in my home then you do not understand how hard it was on a day to day basis.  I worked hard with Lucas to teach him to talk before I even had him evaluated by Early Intervention.

Transferring to the school system was easier than I had feared.  The teacher was amazing!  Lucas' new speech therapist was amazing!  Having these amazing professionals comforted me as I let go of my relationship with the wonderfully supportive EI therapists. I honestly believe in the benefits of early intervention and that we wouldn't be where we are in Lucas' progress without them.  Getting that help was a type of head start that has proved to be priceless.  EI taught me how to work with Lucas and how to stop working with him so I could just enjoy my little boy. Lucas was not even two years old when he began receiving help from Early Intervention services. Now, in two more months he will be 4 years old!  EI gave him the ability to start producing sound and conveying his needs using sign language.  From there we began to get single and some double words from him.  His teachers and therapist from the school district took that progress and helped us to keep moving forward.  Part of this success is also from the opportunity of being in an inclusive classroom.  Lucas began the class shortly after he turned 3yrs old.  The class has a range of kids from 3 years old till they begin Kindergarten.  The teacher and aides know how to help him produce his language during the day and of course his speech therapist works with improving his clarity.  Transitioning to the school district has proven to be the right step for us as Lucas continues to improve.  It is amazing to watch this little boy work so hard, actually work, at learning this skill we take for granted.

I have to admit that I brag about the preschool program whenever I get the chance.  I feel I owe it to them for helping us to hear what our little boy wants to say.   Last year when he started he was beginning to put two words together and now we can often hear him say 5 words in a sentence!  Trust me, this is beyond amazing!!!  I don't care if the neighbors don't understand him or think he is much younger than he is because of his speech abilities.  I just love the fact that my child has learned to speak enough to let his personality shine through.  He is a trouble maker who loves to trick and tease but he loves to love!  My favorite thing he says (it is tough to choose) "May I rub your arm?"  What I love about this sentence is that it is a statement not a real question.  He has always needed to rub my arm.  Now, he is able to actually use his words for something that is a basic need of his.  I cherish each and every word he says to me.  Even if he stutters or has to repeat himself 10 times just so I can figure out what he is saying.  I am just loving this new stage in his development and I don't, not for one second, take it for granted that he is able to say "I love you."  I know we have a long way to go, I am the first person to remind people this, but his progress has been remarkable.  As a mother I am finally feeling like I can honestly brag and boast and shine a spotlight on my incredibly smart son.

When I get the chance to talk about the preschool program I find that many parents are surprised that it is an "inclusive" program.  It is not just for children like Lucas who have specific challenges but also for children who are typically developing with no identified special needs.  Parents in my school district have the misconception that it is just for special education kids.  The fact that the program is inclusive is one reason that makes it brag worthy.  The teachers knowledge and their ability to teach children of all abilities at the same time is amazing.

As a parent of a child with special needs I find comfort in the knowledge that Lucas is attending preschool with the same kids he will go to kindergarten with.  These kids KNOW him and so when he starts kindergarten he won't be faced with new kids who judge him based on the fact that he talks a little different.  Imagine that.  Children are the most honest people on the planet because they don't know yet how to censor their thoughts.  Lucas won't be faced by kids who see him as different because he will already have friends who do understand him.  In fact, the program is for kids started at age 3 till they start kindergarten at 5.  Since Lucas started right after his third birthday he has some friends who just started kindergarten.  This means he has friends who are two years older than him.  I really don't see him getting picked on at the playground just because he doesn't speak clearly.

How does it benefit your "typically developing" child who has not had any special needs identified to be placed in a class with children who do have varying levels of special needs?  Will your child receive an education appropriate for their development and have them ready for Kindergarten?  I am sure these are the questions you might be asking yourself.  They are logical.  First off let me explain what it means to be "inclusive".  Inclusive is a General Education classroom that includes children with special needs.  So, the typically developing child will receive the appropriate education.  The program is geared for getting all children ready for Kindergarten.  The children are treated as individuals (as they should be) to help them succeed in the curriculum.   The teachers and aides have strong backgrounds in Special Education which help them know what is age appropriate in development and how to help the child who doesn't have special needs but might be slightly struggling in a particular area.  These teachers are really well rounded experts that you should feel lucky to have teaching your child regardless of typically developing or special need.

For example: Your son's coloring projects are often just a few scribbles that are light in color and he never seems interested in holding on to a crayon.  Another preschool program teacher might just shrug their shoulders and think your child just doesn't like to color (hey most boys aren't into it!) because their scribbles are light and after a minute or two they give up the project.  In Lucas' program the teachers take a closer look into why the child doesn't seem interested in coloring.  They know the different types of crayons to try and they look at how your child's grip is on the crayon.  They test out your child's left hand!  They don't just assume because he is a boy he doesn't like to color.  They really take the time to evaluate why.  If during the process they find an easy answer they help your child as needed.  If during the process they see that your child could benefit from an Occupational Therapists evaluation they will talk to you about it and if you are in agreement they will put in the request.  If after the OT evaluates your child and see's they are fine they will give the teacher some extra instructions on how to help develop the child's coloring skills.  If the OT evaluates your child and finds that they qualify for OT services they will meet with you to have your approval to give your child therapy.  The other preschool program would have let something like this slide and then when your son entered Kindergarten his teacher would have picked up on his difficulty.  You have officially saved your child a year of hardship by having him in a program that knows how to identify troubles and get your child on a path of success.  Just so you know coloring is a precursor to handwriting so if a problem exists at this stage and gets the help it needs early then your child will have better success at handwriting.

Transition is another key element that should be considered. Your child is attending preschool at the same place they will be attending the following three years of their education.  They know the place!  There is comfort in that knowledge that will help them in the transition.  The hallways and teachers are already familiar to them.  This is a minor attribute compared to the quality of education and attention they will receive from these highly experienced teachers.

As a parent we want the best for our children.  I honestly believe having your child a part of an Inclusive Preschool Program is the best for all children, not just an advantage for the kids with some special circumstances.  Lucas has grown so much in the last 9 months of being in this preschool program.  His progress has brought tears to the eyes of everyone who knows him.  In fact this past fall I had a teary eyed moment with his speech therapist as we talked about how far he has come and how hard Lucas has worked for it.  A typically developing child with no special needs identified will receive all the benefits of a teacher who has a full understanding of developmental goals and the general education that fits with NJ standards.  An inclusive classroom is the best of both worlds for all children.

If you are lucky enough to live in my town registration for the 2014-2015 school year starts January 15 2014.  I have a link (at the bottom of the page) to the school website that gives you the contact information.
  If you are not in my district I still strongly recommend you checking out your own towns preschool program.  Look for one that uses the term inclusive.  Check out the teachers credentials.  Even a typically developing child  benefits from a great teacher at this young age.

If you are interested in Lucas' progress I plan on taking a new video of him in the next few weeks.  Lucas has a strong personality so some days he is a little ham and others he doesn't want to be bothered with performing for Mommy.

http://morrisplains.schoolwires.net/site/default.aspx?PageType=3&DomainID=4&ModuleInstanceID=1256&ViewID=047E6BE3-6D87-4130-8424-D8E4E9ED6C2A&RenderLoc=0&FlexDataID=1138&PageID=1


1 comment:

  1. I love what you are saying about Lucas' preschool. I am a preschool teacher as well, and I deal alot with behavioral issues and children with learning disabilities. It's nice to know that there are parents out there that are thankful. I do not teach at this school, but I will give praise where it is due and here it is. I was working with a child believed to be autistic. Mom was in denial but I did research and worked hard with him and I too learned a lot and now.that child is where he needs to be and mom is OK with it. Having a disability isn't a bad thing we just learn to do things differently and maybe at a different pace. Afterall, each child is different but we love them all the same. My student has moved on and he will be missed. I enjoyed the challenges that came with teaching him and I'm a better person to have experienced it.

    ReplyDelete