Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Balancing Act

I haven't posted in over a week.  Last week was more of a blur without any significant event causing my slip in posting, but it did give me time to consider new post options.  Each day brought a new challenge a new task and by the end of the day I simply forgot to spend time writing about the ins and outs of life with RSD, raising a child with a speech disorder, and everything else that encompasses my life.  Basically I had to decide what ball to drop in my balancing act. 

A healthy life needs balance.  No matter what your personal challenges are you only become truly satisfied when you have an equal balance in your life.   

8x3=24  Simple math.  There are 24 hours in a day.  Our lives are divided into Work, Family, and Rest.  3 basic aspects of life 24 hours in a day means we spend 1/3 of each day (8hours) on each part of our life.  Funny how doctors always say we need 8 hours of sleep and this math equals out. 
Yes we don't all have this ideal math equation.  I know my husband spends about 1/2 his day working, 1/4 playing and 1/4 sleeping.  I try my best to help so that he can get more sleep.  Many of us sacrifice part of our 1/3 of either family or rest towards work.  This leads to burn out, exhaustion, and a feeling of missing out.  The good news is that our weekends often let us make up for this lack of balance during the week, but only if you are smart about how you spend your time!
My suggestion is that you figure out a balancing act that works best for you and your life style.  Just because family and rest do not get their fair share during the week doesn't mean you cannot make up for it on the weekend.  Remember, weekends are your two days off of work so you can now bulk up on the time you miss!

When you have Chronic Pain like RSD and you become disabled you need to pay more attention to your balance.  When you are incapable of working your time in that 1/3 doesn't just become more free time.  Instead of going to the office each day your job now becomes your health.  As logical as this sounds it is very hard to do.  It is especially hard when you are still stuck in the grief process. 

Figuring out how to spend this time and what the rest of you life will be like is very tricky.  Personally speaking I tried to pick up new hobbies to replace activities I could no longer do.  Those hobbies never worked out.  I spent a lot of time watching tv and reading book after book.  Many times I was annoyed when someone would say "I wish I had time to read a whole book."  The lack of physical activity and motivation to get out of the house meant I packed on the pounds consequentially feeling negative about my appearance. 
I remember that at one point early on in claiming disability I resolved to play video games to help Gabriel because I felt horrible that I couldn't take him outside to play or for a walk anymore.  Then when I went to his school for a special Mother's Day event when he was in Kindergarten I was embarressed by the sweet and innocent project where the kids talk about their mothers.  Gabriel commented on what his Mommy does all day while he is at school.  "My Mommy plays video games and watches tv."  The nature of my illness is part of our family normal and Gabriel was too young to understand that Mommy couldn't work or do housework.  He actually was bragging about how awesome his Mommy is but the awkward silence and weird looks was enough to make me realize I had to get out of my disability slump! 

Today I find balance by putting my health in the forefront but remembering to keep active in all the other aspects of my life.  That is what happened last week.  Between taking care of myself and my family I didn't have time to sit at the computer and blog about it.  My schedule was simply too busy. 

1 comment: