Friday, March 29, 2013

When it flairs ...

Last night was picture perfect.  We went to my sister in-laws for her birthday.  We had dinner and cake.  Then we went to Gabriel's Taekwondo Sparring class.  After class Leo had an in door soccer game to get to so I had the night with my boys.  While Gabriel was in the shower I set up a movie and got busy with our hot air popper to make some Popcorn.  Watching "Rise of the Guardians" I sat in the middle of couch, popcorn on my lap sandwiched between my boys.  My type of evening!  Before the end of the movie Gabe was fast asleep but Lucas wanted to watch it again.  I was comfortably snuggled in and thought, why not.  Lucas fell asleep after 15 minutes on round two and that was when I felt it.  The icy cold burn and the way my foot began to swell inside of my sneaker.  Damn, not the ideal way to end the perfect evening.  My SCS controller was inside my purse on the coat rack.  I sent Leo a text letting him know the situation.  Even if I managed to get up off the couch I could never get Lucas up to bed.  I was stuck.  I was litteraly stuck on the couch because I worried that if I got up I would wake up Lucas.  If Lucas were to wake up he would need his intensive cuddling.  I love the cuddle but I didn't think I could handle that and my pain right then.  So, even though my leg was killing me I chose not to get up and use the SCS yet.  I chose to try and wait for Leo to come to my rescue.  He did and having him home made everything seem so much easier. 

When I woke up in the morning I did not need to test my leg for pain, I felt it with my first cohearent thought.  I was also subconsciencely tenting the blankets with my good leg so they wouldn't bother my bad leg.  Last night I had used my SCS on the sleep program.  My first step out of bed showed me that I couldn't even bear weight to limp, I had to pull my leg behind me to get to the bathroom.  My morning was beyond slow.  I am ever so grateful that Gabriel is of an age to be a helping hand and is considerate over when my leg is hurting.  He played with Lucas' while I took a long hot shower, letting the hot water seep into my leg and chasing the cold away.  Because Gabriel was a great help I let him play video games without the prerequisit typing program for 15 minutes.  Gabe played while Lucas and I took a rest in my bed. 

I did not get any cleaning done today.  I did get to go shopping at Walmart for our last minute Easter stuff.  Leo dropped me off and I had time to walk slowly and shop.  Tonight Leo took Gabe to the movies to see the new "G I Joe".  Lucas and I have ordered pizza from Papa Johns.  I am tasking myself with boiling the eggs tonight, all 36.  If I get a sudden burst of energy and motivation I might empty and restack the dishwasher.  I cannot hope that over night my flair will subside enough that I can manage all my chores tomorrow.  All I can do is focus on the things that must get done.  Eggs must be colored and in a way that produces a lot of laughter and giggles.  Easter baskets must be dug out of storage.  The kitchen must get cleaned up as well as the living and dinning rooms.  To accomplish all these tasks I will have to enlist the help of Leo (he is a powerhouse) and Gabriel (he will do anything to make me smile).  Lucas will be a big help if he can stay happy not cranky and will simply follow directions (tall order). 

Our Easter Sunday plans are our traditional chaos.  Sunday morning wake up (7:30ish) and check out the baskets.  Hunt for Easter eggs that the Easter Bunny has hidden for the boys.  Get dressed up, make sure we have everything we need for the day and head out to Church.  After mass we drive down to my parents (about 45 minutes) and have an Easter lunch.  They will also hide eggs for the boys to find and have baskets for them filled with goodies.  Then we drive to Leo's parents house (45 minutes) for an Easter dinner.  They will also hide eggs for the boys to find and have baskets filled with goodies.  By the time we get home the kids have been filled with food and sugar.  Leo and I are often ready for bed ourselves.  With my leg hurting these plans do not change.  I just fight through it and will NOT let my children see a single cringe.  RSD will not ruin this holiday.  I will use my cane and help them hunt for their eggs.  When they hit their sugar high I will not let my pain create a cranky situation, instead I will laugh and shrug my shoulders saying "It's only one day!" 

I can crumble tonight when everyone is in bed.  I can crumble on Monday after making another successful Easter memory for the boys.  I will not crumble in front of my children during Easter.  I will stay strong and create the magic of the holiday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment