Saturday, March 16, 2013

Bedtime, rewards, and pain that is worth it.

Bedtime battles

I confess we let Lucas sleep in our bed.  December 2011 he figured out how to climb out of his crib or rather he figured out how to climb up on the railing and then fall out of his crib.  So in early January 2012 we switched out his crib for a toddler bed.  Lucas didn't want to sleep in the new bed and because of my health issues I couldn't reinforce the new bed time routine.  As a parent you choose your battles.  Lucas claimed the middle of our bed and has been there ever since. 
This past month I have been working on getting Lucas to play in his room more.  I would hang out in his room with him.  Thursday he skipped his nap and fell asleep in my arms.  Instead of just plopping him in bed next to me I laid him down in his own room.  When he woke up around midnight I laid down next to him but did not hold him close.  Within 15 minutes he was sound asleep again so I got up and went back to my own bed.  What a glorious feeling to enjoy my own pillow and the full side of my bed! 
Last night Lucas wanted to sleep in his own bed.  When it was time for bed he walked straight into his room.  Lucas wanted me to stay with him.  It was still a little early and he was super tired so I said okay to watching a movie while cuddling him.  I dozed off a few times but he just wasn't falling asleep yet.  When the movie was over I said enough and turned the tv off and held him tight.  We both fell asleep.  Around 5 am Leo woke and realized I was missing from the bed. As he woke me up to come to bed Lucas woke up and came with us. 

Rewards
Even though Lucas needed me to sleep with him I still consider last night a win! Last month he wouldn't have even let us sleep in his bed.  He would have screamed and fussed until we let him into our room.  I am taking these two victories to mean that we are on the right track. 
Then early this morning I was given the sweetest reward for my efforts.  Laying in bed Lucas was slowly waking up even though I was hoping to get more shut eye.  As we are laying there snuggled up to each other he quietly says "I oo ou" and I just hold him tighter.  I Love You.  Lucas will be 3 years old next week and this is the first time he has said this without me prompting him. 

So worth it!!!
Two nights sleeping in his own bed.  I love you.  What a sweet reward.  All day today I struggled with stiffness.  Lucas' bed is not my tempurpedic mattress or pillow.  If I need to sleep in his bed a few more days to help ease his transition I will do what I need to do.  Especially if there is the possibility of hearing him say "I oo ou" on his own.  Talk about making the pain worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment