Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Talking Tuesday

Just when we might be moving along smoothly we hit a bump in the road.  Stuttering.  His stutter happens when he is putting two words together and gets stuck on the first sound of the first word.  Word combinations that were loosely understandable have become more confusing.  Certain new two word combo's like fruit snack, pronounced more like 'ooh at' have become 'oohoohooh at'. 

I talked with our SLP and okay this is to be expected between 3 -5 years of age.  My homework is to monitor it and try to judge when and possibly why he is struggling with this "influency".   His SLP will also monitor and decide what (if any) is the best aproach to correct this issue.  Right now she doesn't want me to work on correcting and the last thing I should do is tell him "slow down".  We need to continue making speech enjoyable and if he thinks he is messing up then he may loose interest in attempting speech. Great advice! 

As a parent that worried about never hearing her childs voice I find this stutter delightful.  Why?  Because I get to hear my sons voice even more! It is adorable and amusing.  He is not frustrated nor does he even know he is struggling to say a word.  He just smiles and works hard to make his point heard.  My heart might break a little because even though he doesn't know it yet he has a long hard journey ahead of him.  As I whisper into his ear each night after he has fallen asleep "We are a team baby.  Mommy is here to help you work hard."  We might have a new hurdle to overcome but as a team we will someday get to the point where I could happily complain "Lucas just won't stop talking!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment