Monday, April 8, 2013

A beautiful day!


Goodbye cold and grey weather.  Hello Spring and sunshine!  I love this time of year.  It is not a secret that the cold Winter months increase my pain levels.  In New Jersey it can feel like Winter nearly half of the year.  Still, as hard as those months are it is always a beautiful blessing to have that first day of wonderful sunshine and warmth. 

Thanks to my SCS I am not always in high levels of pain.  I am able to enjoy today's wonderful weather.  I have the window's in the house open, plans to cook the pork chops on the grill, and I feel great today!  Yes I am still medicated and I have to be consciencely aware of not pushing myself too far. 

Warm weather and plenty of sunshine means destination The Park!  I made the obvious choice of taking Lucas to the park after school today.  Watching him run around and play.  I used this as an opportunity to work on his speech while in an active mode.  He did great on single words but the word combinations were difficult to produce while running, swinging or sliding.  If I was able to stop him, get him to make eye contact and slowly repeat after me we had slightly more success in his word reproduction.  Keeping the play time as his priority I enjoyed listening to his spontanious word attempts.  There were other kids at the playground and a few who were the same age, one little girl was only 3 days older than Lucas. I worked on his social speech too.  It was adorable when another little boy came up to me and told me his name was Lucas too.  I tried to get Lucas to say "Hi Lucas.  My name is Lucas too."  Of course it didn't come out that way but I am proud at his attempts.  Even though his speech is still so far behind Lucas was not shy, in fact he was very outgoing and engaging.  Some of the kids did give him a few weird looks when he tried talking to them but I was always right there and would translate so Lucas wouldn't be frusterated at not being understood.  I get it, kids are kids and when someone is a little different they don't know how to act.  I cannot do much about how other kids interact with Lucas but I can give him the best most supportive environment possible.  Today was a great day at the park.  Lucas did some great talking.  That is what I will take with me.

I feel good today.  Yes I am still medicated but I felt energized and my leg felt fine.  I seized the opportunity and I had a great day.  Life with RSD is not just about the trials and tribulations.  When you become committed to the fight and not just the survival you will learn how to make the most of your life.  The old cliche "Make Lemonaid from Lemons" you just need to find the right balance of sugar to make the lemon's tasty.  For me my sweet balance came when I found Leo and we started our family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment