Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Batteries Included

When one of Lucas' trains has this printed on the package I am more eager to buy it over the othere toy that does not have batteries included.  As a Mom I love the phrase "batteries included". 

I remember the first time I told Leo that I have a battery inside of me.  I don't think it was a selling point for our budding relationship.  I was always impressed at his non freak out reaction.  Later, months later, he told me how he misunderstood the whole conversation.  He relayed a conversation to me that he had with his mother the next day.  He thought I was trying to tell him I had a fake leg and that I was robotic.  For me one of the selling points on Leo was how well he handled the information and even though I later found out that he was freaking out I understood how perfectly rational it was.   I mean it is one thing to handle a loved one's health issue AFTER you have fallen in love but to walk into a relationship with someone who has a health issue and care for them BEFORE falling in love.  That shows character.  Back then I had my RSD under control using my SCS.   This was before my back pain issues.  Another selling point, one of the ultimate tests Leo aced.  My first big flair was an event that sold me on the greatness of Leo.  His nerves were wreaked and yet he took care of me in the way I wanted to be taken care of.  He even told his Mother that I don't like it when everyone overreacts to my pain, that for me it is "normal" and "soon will pass".  He retrieved my crutches from the trunk of my car but panicked that he couldn't find my SCS case, I had to use my crutches to go out and show him (again) what it looked like and where to find it.  After I was set up on the couch, my leg elevated I knew that while this was my "normal" it also showed that I finally found a man that could take care of me and love me the way I needed.  That was just the beginning and I am happy to say that our story is one that lasts through all the drama life with RSD brings. 

Back then my first SCS battery had a life span of 5-7 years, depending on usage.  When the battery ran out I would need a surgery to replace it.  Now as technology has advanced I have a battery they call the mini.  The mini is about half the size of the old battery, nicely hidden.  It is also a rechargable battery.  It is a "cordless" rechargable battery, very cool considering the first generation of recharables needed to have one end in an electrical outlet while the paddle was taped to my skin and was sensitive to movement.  If I sneezed or moved an arm to scratch my nose it would shift off the sweet spot and we would need to recenter the paddle.  What a pain in the butt!  Now my new mini has this cordless rechargable system.  While my battery is a mini the recharge system is large and bulky.  The fact that I can walk around while charging my battery and the sweet spot is not so sensitive is the selling point. 

Last night, I woke with a start at 1:30am from a strange dream.  I dreamt that my battery was beeping and vibrating.  I think it was my subconscience reminding that I need to recharge.  My gut instincts were to jump out of bed, run to my closet and pull down the black case that keeps my charging system.  Unpractical considering I would wake up Leo and it could wait till morning.  I tossed and turned till I fell back to sleep worried I would forget by morning.  Understand, that while the mini battery is recharable if I let the charge fully run out then I would need a surgery to replace it.  Which is why my nerves were jumbled from the dream. 

Waking up this morning I couldn't help but remember what I needed to do.  I quickly pulled some clothes on and then pulled the black case from the top shelf in my closet.  I opened the case, pulled out the paddle and the charge system.  I slipped the paddle between my pants and my skin, placing it over the area where my battery is.  I connected the cord to the charge system and squeezed it into my pants pocket.  This was at 6:45am and by 8:20am the system beeped to let me know it was fully charged.  During this time I was able to get the boys up and moving.  I made breakfast, and lunch boxes.  I watched Gabriel walk to school and got Lucas dressed for school.  It was a very productive morning considering everything. 

Batteries Included is one of our family jokes.  Robo Cop, Robo Mom is another one of our jokes.  Life with RSD is very serious but you have to lighten the mood.  You cannot go around always being depressed.  We find the fun where we can but remember that taking care is not a joking matter.  I remember when everyone started to prepare for Hurricane Sandy.  Food, water, candles, and batteries for flashlights.  When I had to prepare I included recharging my own battery.  I think of it this way, if you need batteries for a flashlight then I need to take care of my own battery.  I am Robo Mom, I have the battery and electrical leads in my body to show for it.  The beautiful kids and husband to keep me moving.  The ability to laugh at myself and my condition while still taking it as seriously as it deserves.  That is what makes me who I am.  I am batteries included! 

No comments:

Post a Comment