Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Chatting with Lucas

It is always fun to sit down with a small child and chat with them.  You get to hear their perspective of the world around them.  I have always found these chats to be entertaining.  Like the conviction some kids can have over their favorite tv show being the best thing in this world.  Or how upsetting it was to them that they didn't get a turn with a toy at recess.  A childs life can seem very dramatic to them while it is very entertaining to us grown ups. 

Now that Lucas has some language I try to engage him in these conversations.  I am not going to sugar coat it, it can be tough but when it works I come away with a cheerishable moment.  I am always grateful for the skills the EI therapists gave me in communicating with Lucas.  Decoding language, signs, gestures and simply repeating what he said until I can figure it out.  Of course there are times when even I, his Mommy, do not understand him after all he does have a speech disorder!  Still, talking to Lucas is fun! 

This morning we were ready for school early.  Lucas and I decided to spend this extra time outside and enjoy the morning air.  We have to be outside waiting for the bus anyway.  As I sat next to him I had this idea.  "Do you want me to record you talking like we did last night for Gabriel?"  He said No.  I asked again, in fewer words and decided to go for it anyway. 

You have to turn the volume up to hear everything he says because at times he will whisper his words.  You will see that I don't always have his attention and I have to be quick on my feet because he tends to run.  You will hear how I have to decode and repeat his words, how at times I struggle to understand him. 

I hope you will understand that while I work with him we do it with a smile!  We have fun together!  Lucas is an amazing child and he works so hard with his words.  This video is a sample of how I work with him.  We play and laugh and have a great time while focusing on what he says. 

Here is the YouTube link.  It is listed as "unlisted" meaning you can not search for it and can only access it by using this link.  You do not need a youtube account to view the video.  Please ignore the video quality, I am using my phone and need to be able to run (as you will see!)
http://youtu.be/uLwcweTZvWE

No comments:

Post a Comment